Top 10 Superfoods To Control Diabetes
Not all healthy foods are created equal.
Greens may be good for you, but the nutrients in iceberg lettuce may not be as plentiful as those in kale, spinach, and Swiss chard. Besides nutrient content, the glycemic index (GI) of a food may also help you make healthy choices. The GI measures how quickly a food will raise blood sugar. Low GI foods have a score of 55 or less, while high GI foods have a score of 70 or more. In general, lower GI foods are a better choice for people with diabetes. Foods that are both nutritious and have a low GI are helpful in managing health and blood glucose levels.
Here are 10 superfoods that are especially good for those with diabetes.
- Kale and Other Leafy Green Vegetables
- Oranges and other Citrus
- Sweet Potatoes
- Blueberries and Other Berries
- Wild Salmon and Other with Omega-3 Fatty Acid Fish
- Barley, Lentils, and Other Whole Grains
- Walnuts, Flaxseeds, and Other Nuts/Seeds
- Non-Fat or Low-Fat Plain Milk and Yogurt
Which is your favorite and which will you add to your daily regiment?